Library Rules and Regulations:
- Borrowing: Except for the reference and Special Collections, all other books can be checked out, issuing of books stops 15 minutes before closing.
- Library information materials are issued to clientele only who have their identification card.
- The library clientele in whose name a library information material is issued is charged with responsibility of securing and returning the items to the Library.
- Loan Period: Faculty, PhD students, MTH students – 15 books for one Month
- Masters Students ten books for two weeks, Undergraduates five books for two weeks, Alumni five books for two weeks, AIU Staff five books for two weeks, External members three for two weeks.
- Renewals are not permitted if the information material has been placed on hold (reserved), for the Extension students and external members’ renewals can be done once in absentia through email and phone.
- Reserved information materials may be checked out 30 minutes before closing time for overnight use. They must be returned at 8.00 am the following day (assuming the library is operating).
- Silence should be strictly observed as this disturbs other users. Food, drinks, any other materials that might damage library materials should not be allowed into the library.
- Personal effects/bags should be left at the baggage area with the security personnel immediately after the main entrance.
- No part of a book, journal, or newspaper should be removed as this will accrue heavy penalties.
- Any Clientele who breaches the library rules and regulations runs a risk of being suspended by the University librarian from using the Library.
Fines and Library Materials damage:
- A user who fails to return or renew long-loan term information material is charged an overdue fee of five shillings per information material per day.
- A user who fails to return a Reserve book at expected time shall be charged a fine of sh. 10 per material per hour.
- Total maximum fine allowed is sh. 200, beyond which borrowing rights are withdrawn.
- A borrower who damages or loses library information materials will be required to pay the current market price for the information material, shipping cost and 10% administrative charges.
- Borrowers are expected to take full responsibility of information materials under their names or else, they will be liable for the loss or damage.